If your home is ready for a Spring makeover, but your wallet isn’t, don’t despair. You may not have the cash to bring in contractors and a team of home show designers, but there are still tons of home improvement tricks you can employ to make your home look brand new. The trick is to resist the temptation to go rushing out to the mall. You can get the same effects that you see at the mall showrooms for a fraction of the price if you follow a few clever tips. Here are 10 home improvement do’s and don’ts that will have your neighbors wondering if you hired a professional to redecorate your home!
- Do sort through your furniture, decorations and tchotchkes to determine which you really want to keep, and which can be sacrificed to gain more space. No matter what look you’re going for, you won’t be able to achieve it if your home is hip-deep in junk. If you don’t relish the idea of hauling an old couch to the dump, you can call a furniture pro who’s an expert in furniture disassembly.
- Do make a home improvement budget and try to stay within it. It’s so easy to get excited when you’re redecorating. Resist the temptation to max out your plastic. You’ll be glad later.
- Do make use of inexpensive home improvement tools like new paint, new lighting, and accent accessories. Some of them can have a huge impact on the look of a room. An accent wall in a new color, spot or track lighting that calls attention to an art object, or a pop of red or blue on a pillow or lamp can change the whole mood of a space.
- Do rework window treatments to admit more light, or create a frame for a fabulous view.
- Do replace old floor coverings that have outlived their usefulness – with dramatic accent rugs, a pop of solid color in a shag rug, or wood flooring.
- Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that you have to buy everything new.
- Don’t toss out your old furniture. Have it repaired or reupholstered instead. You can save thousands of dollars with reupholstered furniture, and get exactly the same look as an expensive new piece. A furniture pro is an expert chair doctor and couch fixer.
- Don’t feel obligated to go in the same direction you went last time. Half of the fun of home improvement is trying something new. Be open to new looks, colors and furniture styles.
- Don’t forget to shield your furniture from new damage with fabric protection. Just a little prevention can extend the life of your new look for years.
- Don’t feel obligated to tell your friends. If they think you spent your retirement savings on a home remodel – well, that’s not your fault.
A little bit of paint and fabric can do wonders for the look of your home. New upholstery can make a tired old chair or sofa look like a designer showpiece. You don’t have to spend a fortune to improve your home. Just break out the paint brushes, and call a furniture pro!