A bedroom makeover can be a daunting task unless you have a theme in mind to keep you on the right track. If you’re in need of a little inspiration, take a look at these five fabulous themes to help take your bedroom from boring to bodacious! Channel your inner decorator, choose a look, and call the furniture movers!
- You can transform your bedroom to an exotic paradise even if you can’t change the color of the walls. Adding an exotic rug, colorful pillows, or sheer, bangled draperies can give a touch of the Arabian Nights to any bedroom. Some furniture retailers sell round beds, and they fit beautifully into this theme. Mount yours on a low pedestal to simulate an oriental couch. Add a wooden screen, a few chairs or low tables from an import store, and you’ll never know that you aren’t in the Kasbah.
- Western-themed accessories, such as southwestern or Native American throws, rugs, bedspreads or pillows, can give any room a rustic, western feel. Western art or sculpture can also help set a western mood in your bedroom. If you are willing to change the color of your walls, a warm yellow or deep red can give your bedroom the right touch for this theme. Alternatively, bold black and white photography of a well-known western landmark, celebrity, or natural feature is an attractive option.
- Nothing is more relaxing, or conducive to sweet dreams, than a serene, nature-inspired bedroom. Walls in a cool gray-green, light blue, or warm yellow, natural wood floors, and plenty of live plants will help you wind down after a long day. Choose bedroom furniture made from unfinished wood; decorate with dried flowers, pine cones or geodes; or cover one wall with a photo mural depicting your favorite outdoor scene – a tranquil forest, a waterfall, or a Caribbean beach.
- Simple lines, solid colors and interesting textures form the foundation of this smart, simple look. Mid-century modern is coming back into style and the look can be inexpensively achieved. You can pick up many mid-century modern pieces, such as chairs, bedside tables, clocks and lamps in thrift stores or yard sales, and they can be easily updated with a fresh coat of paint or new upholstery. You may have to disassemble furniture to update it, especially if you’re changing out upholstery, but such fixes are usually uncomplicated. Add a pop of drama with a bright, fun wall ornament, such as a starburst clock, an abstract painting, or a metal wall sculpture.
- If you want to make a sophisticated statement with your bedroom décor, you can go with sleek, modern pieces in solid colors. A bed mounted low on a small platform, and with no headboard, gives the room a look of fashionable simplicity. Solid contrasting colors can be used to striking effect. For example, imagine a bedroom with white wall, a white coverlet, and a dramatic black and white photograph or mural covering most of the wall. Natural materials, such as blonde wood, shells or simple plants, can also work well with this look.
It’s a real pleasure to go to bed at the end of the day when you’ve created the bedroom of your dreams. Once you have the perfect look, be sure to maintain your furniture with periodic repair, and your textiles with fabric protection, and you’ll enjoy your creation for many years to come.