Is your kid moving out? Look on the bright side. That bedroom is going to look better than it has in years, and it’s all yours. As soon as your chick has flown the nest, you can call in the painters. You can move things along by helping your child get his furniture out of the house. If he has a massive wall unit or a honking bed, you can head off requests for help (and a doctor bill) by calling a professional who can disassemble furniture. Better to have someone else take it apart than spend an afternoon in the ER with back spasms!
Take a look at a few ideas for that bonus bedroom.
- Have you always fantasized about a cozy little library with built-in bookcases, a fireplace and a snug wingback chair? You can install an electric fireplace and wooden paneling fairly easily and inexpensively. If you’re on a budget, you don’t even have to buy a pricey new leather chair. You can have a furniture professional recover or even redesign an old chair for less than it would cost new.
- Now you can take all those exercise machines out of the garage and give them the space they deserve. You can install a wall-mounted TV and a mini-fridge, too, just like at the gym.
- If you’ve always wanted to work out of your home, or if you have a serious hobby, now you have the space to set up that desk or work table. You can talk to clients without worrying about the TV blasting in the background.
- Yeah, baby! Let’s get the big screen TV and recliner moved right in! And your wife will be thrilled that she can close the door on you, when your friends come over for the big game.
- A guest bedroom seems kind of boring, but hey, you don’t want to be the one sleeping on the couch when your relatives come to town. Your kid might come back, too. You might not want to think about that, but it’s been known to happen.
- You thought it was that when your kid was there, right? But now, you can make the extra room a safe room filled with emergency supplies. If you don’t have a basement or other safe area to go to in the event of a disaster, this is a wise idea.
- If you want to go whole hog, and if the room is close enough, you can have the wall knocked out and add the extra space to your master bedroom or bathroom. You might use the extra room to create a fireplace area, a whirlpool bath or sauna closet.
These design ideas don’t have to cost a fortune. In most cases, you can just use the furniture you already have. But if you want to freshen up the look of the room, there are plenty of professionals who can take an old chair or table and make it look completely new. There are lots of companies that can do furniture design or furniture repair – NYC is full of furniture professionals. Call one today, and you can make that old wreck of a bedroom into something amazing!