If you appreciate neutral tones, clean lines, and a space free of clutter, then modern home design is likely the style for you. Modern design focuses on functional lines, basic shapes, and the use of materials like glass, chrome, and metal. This style developed from the concept of building for function while avoiding chaos and clutter. If you are interested in styling your home with a modern feel, there are a variety of helpful tips to keep in mind.
Whether you’re looking for a modern design for your living room or are hoping to update the look of your master bedroom, there are a variety of great interior design ideas that can work for any sized space. Consider the following interior design tips to make your home look and feel more modern:
- Use organic and natural materials, including teak, rock, wool, and textiles.
- Choose tone-on-tone color palettes that focus heavily on cream, white, taupe, and brown, and then add in shots of color.
- Select furniture pieces with smooth surfaces and clean lines, especially those that are made out of light-colored woods.
- Natural fabrics like cotton, wool, and silk can provide a unique textural aspect to your space. You can also choose bold colors and geometric patterns to accent your furniture pieces.
- Repurpose an older furniture item rather than running out and buying something new. Vintage pieces that are given a new look with furniture fabrication or upholstery can give new life to your pieces while providing your space with a contemporary look.
In modern home interiors, lighting design can be used to offer an artistic statement while brightening up your space. Table and floor lamps are especially popular, as they tend to have sleek metallic finishes and straight lines. If you want to include a unique element to show off your style and personality, a special shade may be able to add color. Track and recessed lighting should also be used to draw attention to statement pieces, including prized artwork or other home accessories.
The furniture in your home will play a supporting role in the overall style that you are hoping to create around you. If you’ve opted for modern interiors, it is especially important that you select the right pieces. Modern furniture is typically designed in order to make your life easier, so things like storage beds or a large ottoman that can double as a coffee table are especially practical to add to your home.
When selecting furniture for your modern home design, it is important to consider the construction. You’ll want your pieces to feel both heavy and solid, as these frames will tend to last much longer than other options. You can take advantage of furniture moving and delivery services in order to properly relocate your items from room to room or to your new space in the event of a move.
If you are interested in modern home design, remember that you don’t have to go out and purchase all new pieces. Contacting a furniture doctor can help to repurpose old items to make them fit with the style of the rest of your home.